John W. Gahan III
John Gahan is a partner in the firm's Real Estate Department in the Boston office. John's practice focuses on real estate acquisition, financing, management and development, principally involving the development and management of multi-family housing. Many of these projects have involved tax credits (state and federal low-income housing tax credits, state and federal historic credits, "Brownfields" credits and other state credits.
John also an experienced commercial litigator of eminent domain and other matters involving real estate values, employment discrimination and termination issues. He has represented property owners and developers in matters relating to land use, ranging from permitting a site for a sanitary landfill to trials and appeals of zoning cases.
In his capacity as a member of the Board of Appeals of the Town of Belmont, of which he was a member for twenty-five years and Board Chairman during most of those years, John drafted a landmark decision allowing a Mormon temple to be built in Belmont, Massachusetts, a decision upheld in a unanimous ruling by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
John has served on the Board of Directors of the National Housing and Rehabilitation Association (NH&RA) and has assisted in the drafting of laws and regulations dealing with affordable housing properties, including the housing preservation law, enacted in 2009, in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (Chapter 40T - An Act Preserving Publicly Assisted Affordable Housing). John served on the advisory committee that provided advice and recommendations relative to the implementation of Chapter 40T.
News & Publications
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP Launches Opportunity Zone Practice Group, S&W Press Release (June 26, 2018)
- State carves New York into investment opportunity zones, Real Estate Weekly, Quoted (May 9, 2018)
- Legislation Creating Opportunity Zones Offers Significant Tax Benefits — An Overview, S&W Client Advisory (April 18, 2018)
- LIHTC Bulletin, Client Advisory (March 26, 2018)
- Sullivan & Worcester Adds Three Affordable Housing Partners to Growing Real Estate Group, S&W Press Release (March 12, 2018)
Seminars & Presentations
- Structuring Opportunity Zone Funds and Transactions
National Housing & Rehabilitation Association (July 20, 2018)
- Opportunity Zones: A Remarkable Opportunity
Sullivan & Worcester Conference Center, New York, NY (July 11, 2018)
- Structuring and Operating a Real Estate Business After the 2017 Tax Act
Sullivan & Worcester Conference Center, Boston, MA (April 25, 2018)