Gene L. Schlack
Gene L. Schlack is an associate in the Tax Department of our Boston office. Mr. Schlack has experience with various transactions involving publicly-traded REITs (real estate investment trusts), including REIT formation and debt and equity offerings, as well as like-kind exchanges.
While at New York University School of Law, Mr. Schlack served as Developments Editor for the NYU Journal of International Law and Politics and participated in the law school’s Clinic on Policy Advocacy in Latin America.
Representative Client Work
- Represented a publicly traded REIT in a tax-free merger valued at $2.7 billion
- Provided tax representation to a mortgage REIT in its formation and IPO
- Provided tax counsel to publicly traded companies for debt and equity offerings totaling more than $5 billion
- Structured numerous forward and reverse like-kind exchanges of real property totaling over $200 million of exchange consideration
News & Publications
- Impact of 2017 Tax Act on Real Estate Activities, S&W Client Advisory (February 9, 2018)
- Cuts Will Impact Blue States, Real Estate Industry, Banker & Tradesman (January 7, 2018)
Seminars & Presentations
- The 2017 Tax Act
Sullivan & Worcester Conference Center, Boston, MA (January 31, 2018)