Joel Telpner Joins Sullivan & Worcester in New York - Boosts Firm’s Offerings in Finance, Structured Finance and Derivatives
New York, NY, October 31, 2016 – Sullivan & Worcester today announced that Joel S. Telpner has joined the firm’s New York office as a partner in its Finance Group, bolstering the firm’s strong corporate, finance and investment management practices. Mr. Telpner comes to Sullivan & Worcester from Jones Day where he was a partner.
"Joel’s experience in structured finance, derivatives and corporate transactions will provide great value to our clients and additional depth to our diverse finance practice," said Joel Carpenter, managing partner at Sullivan & Worcester. "He has earned a well-deserved reputation as a trusted counselor on financial, securities and commodities regulatory issues, particularly relating to cross-border concerns, and has an extensive and unique combination of transactional and regulatory experience. We are pleased to have him join our team."
A seasoned advisor, strategist and problem solver, Mr. Telpner brings more than 30 years of legal experience in a career that includes time as an AmLaw 100 partner, the former U.S. general counsel of a global financial institution, and a venture capitalist. He is recognized for his ability to deftly manage complex financial transactions, especially those involving sophisticated structured finance and derivatives matters.
Throughout his career, Mr. Telpner has represented a diverse client base, including financial institutions, dealers, corporations, investment managers, mutual funds, hedge funds and pension plans. In addition to finance transactions, he works with clients on debt capital markets transactions, private M&A transactions, including early stage investing, and fund formation.
Mr. Telpner has worked on a number of noteworthy deals and transactions, including the following matters:
- Representing and negotiating on behalf of one of the world’s largest banks in connection with its global derivatives exposure to the Lehman estate
- Representing a global bank in the disposition of its asset management business
- Structuring and negotiating the program documentation for an $8 billion origination and $6.5 billion commercial mortgage securitization business
- Representing a consortium of some of the world’s largest asset managers in negotiations with the CFTC and SEC in connection with various Dodd-Frank regulatory issues
- Representing bank creditor committees in connection with the restructuring of the public sector debt of Mexico, Argentina and Brazil
- Structuring a $1.2 billion Peruvian toll road structured note financing
- Structuring the first issuance of digital securities utilizing blockchain technology
- Representing the City of Detroit in the unwinding of various swap transactions as part of Detroit’s bankruptcy filing
"Sullivan & Worcester has a deep bench and an intense focus in financial services, structured finance and investment management," said Mr. Telpner. "Its presence in the key financial and regulatory markets --- New York, Boston, Washington, D.C and London --- will enable me to expand my practice and effectively and efficiently serve a broad client base."
Mr. Telpner received his J.D. with distinction from The University of Iowa College of Law and an M.B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School. He has served as an adjunct professor at New York University School of Law, teaching a course on derivatives regulation. In 2014, he was named "Deal Maker of the Year" in the United States by Finance Monthly and "Lawyer of the Year" for Corporate Finance by Corporate LiveWire.
About Sullivan & Worcester LLP
Sullivan & Worcester is a leading corporate law firm advising clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to emerging businesses. With more than 175 lawyers in Boston, London, New York and Washington, D.C., the firm offers services in a wide range of areas, including corporate finance, banking, trade finance, securities and mutual funds, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, tax, real estate and REITs, private equity and venture capital, bankruptcy, environment and natural resources, climate change, renewable energy and water resources, regulatory law, and employment and benefits. For more information please visit www.sandw.com.
617 338 2448