Firmly Green: S&W Embraces EPA Law Office Climate Challenge, Commits to Sustainability
Boston, MA – March 11, 2009 – Sullivan & Worcester LLP has become a partner law firm in a formal sustainability plan, the ABA-EPA Law Office Climate Challenge, in the Office Paper Management category. Established by the American Bar Association (ABA) Section of Environment, Energy and Resources (SEER), in cooperation with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Climate Challenge encourages law offices to take specific steps to conserve energy and resources, as well as reduce greenhouse gases and purchase environmentally sound products.
Some of Sullivan & Worcester’s sustainability efforts include:
- We recycle 90% of all office paper products
- Our office paper, marketing and recruiting materials consist of 30% or higher post-consumer recycled content
- Increasingly, we electronically distribute firm communications such as client advisories, seminar notices and event invitations
- Marketing and recruiting materials are printed using soy-based inks
- Toner and ink cartridges are recycled
- Incoming faxes are directly emailed to recipients' computers
- "Energy Star" rated office machinery, appliances and electronic devices are utilized in all offices
- Programmable thermostats control heating and air conditioning
- Time switches automatically turn off office equipment (i.e. printers and copiers) after working hours
- Motion-sensored light switches, in most offices, automatically turn off when not in use
- We use compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs)
- We share subscriptions to newspapers, periodicals and professional journals with co-workers to reduce paper use and save natural resources
S&W even designed its own green logo to reinforce the firm’s sustainability efforts, both internally and externally.
“We realized that a little extra effort makes a big difference in reducing paper consumption,” said Joel Carpenter co-managing partner of Sullivan & Worcester. “Many of our clients have adopted green programs and appreciate the changes we’ve made to reduce our carbon footprint.”
In addition to conserving energy, reducing waste and recycling, Sullivan & Worcester also offers employees some pollution-saving perks such as tax-free mass transit passes, flexible schedules, telecommuting opportunities and bicycle racks and support of local and national “ride your bike to work” days.
About Sullivan & Worcester LLP
Sullivan & Worcester LLP is a leading corporate law firm providing counsel to domestic and international clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to emerging businesses. With more than 185 lawyers in Boston, New York and Washington, D.C., the firm offers services in a wide range of areas, including corporate finance, securities, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, tax, real estate, private equity and venture capital, bankruptcy, climate change, regulatory law, and employment and benefits. Sullivan & Worcester is also recognized for its representation of REITs and its deep expertise in mutual fund law. For more information please visit www.sandw.com.