TEL: +44 (0)20 7448 1000
FAX: +44 (0)20 7900 3472
London Office Overview
Our London office opened in November 2013 with a group focusing on trade and export finance. For more than 25 years, Sullivan & Worcester partners have provided legal representation to the world’s leading trade finance practitioners in all aspects of their businesses, from asset acquisition to distribution to securitizations. As London is the undisputed center of trade and commodities finance, a large share of our trade finance work is done there.
We advise clients concerning their activities throughout the world, with a special emphasis on the emerging markets of Africa, Asia, the CIS countries and Latin America.
Our practice is multi-disciplinary, involving attorneys and solicitors expert in trade, banking, securitization, securities law, project finance, insurance, tax, compliance issues and dispute resolution.
In addition to trade and commodities finance, the firm works closely with our U.S. practice and the needs of our clients worldwide. The office also benefits from our joint venture in Israel, ZAG-S&W, with significant client activity across Europe and Asia.
Sullivan & Worcester is an international legal practice providing client services worldwide through its member firms Sullivan & Worcester LLP and Sullivan & Worcester UK LLP. Sullivan & Worcester UK LLP is affiliated with Sullivan & Worcester LLP which operates Sullivan & Worcester offices outside of England and Wales.
Trade & Export Finance
Our market-leading, London- and New York-based Trade & Export Finance Group advises clients on transactions in a wide range of jurisdictions, with a special emphasis on emerging markets, including Africa, Asia, CIS, Middle East and Latin America.
The Group advises well over 35 major trade finance banks and financial institutions as well as funds, corporate borrowers, agents and trustees, national and international organizations and the insurance market.
The practice has recently received a number of accolades:
- Global Trade Review named Sullivan & Worcester "Best Trade Finance Law Firm" in the GTR Leaders in Trade Awards 2016.
- Trade & Forfaiting Review (TFR) named Sullivan & Worcester "Best Law Firm in Trade Finance" in its 2016 TFR Excellence in Trade Awards and 2015 and 2014 TFR Excellence in Trade Awards.
- The Legal 500 UK 2019 ranked the firm in Tier 1 for Trade Finance.
- IFLR1000 2017, The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms, recognized Sullivan & Worcester as a Notable firm in the category of "Financial and Corporate — Bank Lending: Lender side."
Our practice is multi-disciplinary, involving lawyers who are experts in trade and export finance, project finance, asset finance, securitization, securities law, insurance, tax, compliance issues and dispute resolution. We have advised on deals involving all types of commodities including softs, metals, oil and gas.
The Group is able to advise on transactions involving English law and New York law as its main law. With its extensive network of law firms across the globe, it can cover all cross-border issues and provide advice on local law issues.
We have experience in a wide range of matters including:
- Commodity financing: large syndicated pre-export financings, prepayment transactions, borrowing base, reserve base lending and inventory financings and commodity repos
- Receivables financing: multi-jurisdictional supply chain finance programs, invoice discounting, factoring and forfaiting transactions
- Structured financing: asset acquisitions, distribution, securitizations, hedges, credit derivatives and synthetic securitizations
- Trade services: advising on trade finance instruments and the application of uniform rules of practice
Export credit agency (ECA) finance: short, medium and long-term export credit agency and multi-source finance
- Insurance: advising insurance brokers, investment funds, government agencies and corporates on commercial insurance arrangements including those which support structured trade, commodity and pre-export financing
- Trade disputes: representing clients in disputes in fora through the world, including the International Chamber of Commerce, the London Court of International Arbitration, American Arbitration Association, and ad hoc arbitrations, as well as traditional courtroom proceedings
- Regulation: our partners regularly advise on regulatory (Basel III), bribery and corruption issues and sanctions issues particularly in connection with trade and export finance.
Tower 42 is located on Old Broad Street, just a short walk from both Bank and Liverpool Street underground stations. Sullivan & Worcester's offices are on floor 36 of Tower 42. Staff at the main reception desk will provide you with a security pass and direct you to the lifts to access floor 36. You may need to present identification at the main reception desk.
From Heathrow Airport
- Take the Heathrow Express train to Paddington station.
- The travel time is approximately 15 minutes (23 minutes from Terminal 4).
- Upon arrival at Paddington, either take a taxi to our offices or continue your journey via the underground by taking the Hammersmith & City line (pink) or the Circle line (yellow) Eastbound to Liverpool Street underground station.
- Alternatively, a taxi for the entire journey from Heathrow is an easier, yet more costly option. Travel time is approximately 60-75 minutes.
From Gatwick Airport
- Take the Gatwick Express train to Victoria station.
- The travel time is approximately 30 minutes.
- At Victoria, either take a taxi directly to our offices or transfer to the Circle line (yellow) Eastbound to Liverpool Street underground station.
- Alternatively, taking a taxi for the entire journey is an easier, yet more costly option. Travel time is approximately 60-90 minutes.
From London City Airport
- The easiest way to reach our offices is via the airport shuttle bus, which will take you right to Liverpool Street station (30 minute travel time). Otherwise, an airport shuttle bus can take you to Canning Town station.
- From there take the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) to Bank underground station.
By London Underground
Liverpool Street Station
- Liverpool Street Station is on the Central, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines.
- Follow signs to the exit for Old Broad Street. Turn left on leaving the station and walk south down Old Broad Street and cross over at the intersection. Tower 42 is approximately 200 metres down Old Broad Street on the left-hand side.
- Bank Station is on the Central, Northern, Waterloo & City and Docklands Light Railway (DLR) lines.
- Take exit 2 from the station and take the right-hand set of stairs onto Threadneedle Street. Turn immediately left and walk east along Threadneedle Street (you will pass the Royal Exchange on your right). At the intersection where the road forks, bear left onto Old Broad Street. Tower 42 is approximately 200 metres on the right-hand side.
- Moorgate station is on the Circle, Northern, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines.
- From the station, walk south along Moorgate, take the second left turn into London Wall and then take the fourth right into Old Broad Street. Tower 42 is located on the left-hand side of Old Broad Street.
Please note that some taxi drivers still know the building only by its former name, the NatWest Tower.