Lawrence R. Robins
Lawrence R. Robins is a partner in the Intellectual Property Group of Sullivan & Worcester’s Boston office. Mr. Robins represents clients on a variety of intellectual property matters, with a particular focus on the litigation of trademark, copyright, unfair competition, advertising, and related disputes; strategic trademark portfolio development, management, and protection; and counseling on the use and protection of copyrighted works. His areas of industry and technical experience include information technology, search engines, e-commerce, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer goods, financial services, restaurants and clubs, furniture and design, food and beverage, and sports and sporting goods.
In his copyright practice, Mr. Robins assists clients in designing and implementing policies both to protect their own copyrightable works and to ensure the appropriate use of the works of others, including the use of open source software. Mr. Robins is an experienced copyright litigator and also assists clients in enforcing their rights via the U.S. Immigration and Customs Service.
In the trademark area, Mr. Robins works proactively with clients to develop and implement trademark management programs designed to maximize the return on investment in both marketing and legal expenditures relating to brand management. He represents clients in trademark, unfair competition, advertising, and related disputes in the federal and state courts, before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and via alternative avenues of dispute resolution such as arbitration under the ICANN Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy and proceedings before the National Advertising Division (NAD).
In his transactional practice, he prepares and negotiates agreements involving computer software, hardware, e-commerce, and other technologies. The transactions include license, distribution, development, OEM, VAR, and joint venture agreements. Since 1994 he has been involved in Internet-related transactions including co-branding, joint site development, web hosting and site development, and content licensing.
Mr. Robins is a regular contributor to the firm's Trending Trademarks Blog.
Representative Client Work
- Manages worldwide trademark portfolios for several large public and privately held companies
- Successfully prosecuted domain name disputes pursuant to Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
- Has been first chair litigation counsel in several trademark infringement, unfair competition, copyright infringement and software systems failure litigation matters before the federal and state courts and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Drafted and negotiated several software consulting and end-user agreements, OEM, VAR and international distribution agreements, website development agreements, and trademark, copyright, and patent licenses
- Expert witness for the defense in a legal malpractice case Converse, Inc. v. Gilleran, et. al., Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Essex County
- Expert witness for the defense in a trademark infringement case Bay State Savings Bank v. Bay State Financial Services, LLC, United States District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Successfully represented a manufacturer of hydration and food storage products in settling a copyright and design patent infringement matter
- Represented a kitchen design software company as lead appellate counsel in a copyright/unfair competition case settled via mediation
- Represented an information technology and computer networking products company in defending a copyright infringement claim
- Represented a leader in the field of non-fusion spinal implant technology in a trademark infringement case
- Represented a leading manufacturer of automobile paint products in several trademark infringement cases involving counterfeit automobile paint products
- Represented a swimming pool equipment and accessories business as lead counsel first in a trademark infringement matter and later in a breach of settlement action and federal appeal arising from the original trademark infringement case
- Represented a famous instant photography and international consumer electronics company in a trademark infringement case
- Represented a financial institution as lead counsel in an in rem domain name action in Massachusetts in case of first impression under the Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA)
Selected Case Experience
- Technology Online, LLC v. Jeffers, Inc., (D. Nev. May 12, 2014). Represented a privately owned catalog and eCommerce animal health supply retailer in a trademark action brought to overturn the decision of an UDRP panel.
- Wimpy Kid, Inc. v. Antarctic Press, Inc., (D. Mass. Dec. 20, 2011). Represented a comic book publishing company as the lead counsel in defending a trade dress and trademark infringement case.
- Atlas Venture Advisors, Inc. v. Atlas Capital Partners, LLC, (D. Mass. June 16, 2010). Represented an early-stage venture capital firm focusing on life sciences and technology innovation in a trademark infringement/unfair competition matter.
- Splitfish AG, et al v. Bannco Corporation, et al, (E.D. Va. 2010). Represented a software company on a copyright infringement matter involving the operating firmware for a video game controller device; obtained preliminary injunction barring sales of the infringing device.
- Grotto Pizza Inc. v. Grottino Inc., et al, (D. Del. March 14, 2008). Represented a Delaware family pizza restaurant as lead counsel in a trademark infringement case.
- Componentone, L.L.C. v. ComponentArt, Inc., (W.D. Pa. Aug. 12, 2005). Acted as lead counsel to a mobile business intelligence and data analytics company in a trademark infringement case. Prevailed on a Rule 56 Motion for Summary Judgment.
- Shamrock Travel Group v. Travelocity.com Inc., (D.N.H. March 26, 2002). Represented an online travel agency as the lead counsel in a trademark infringement case, which settled during a preliminary injunction hearing.
- Mass Audio Visual v. New England Audio, et al, (D. Mass. January 5, 2000). Represented an audio visual staging company as lead counsel in the first case brought under the Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
News & Publications
- Trump Trademark Application Kicks Off 2020 Race, Bloomberg BNA, Quoted (January 25, 2017)
- Supreme Court Doesn't Ask About Test for Conceptual Separability in Star Athletica, Bloomberg BNA, Quoted (November 4, 2016)
- Camo, Tuxedo T-Shirt Dominate Copyright Argument, Bloomberg BNA, Quoted (October 31, 2016)
- Trademark Licensing, The Licensing Journal (April 2015)
- S&W Attorneys Named 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers, New England Super Lawyers Magazine (October 17, 2014)
- Sullivan & Worcester Adds Experienced Intellectual Property Partner, S&W Press Release (June 19, 2014)
- Extraterritorial Reach of the Lanham Act: A Viable Option, World Trademark Review (September 1, 2013)
- One Size Doesn't Fit All (Multi-Faceted Approach to IP Strategy), World Trademark Review (July 2012)
- What You Need to Know about Intellectual Property, Furniture World (July 1, 2012)
- The Real Cost of Rip-Offs, Dwell Magazine, Quoted (June 1, 2012)
- Cheaters Never Prosper....Or Do they?, Intellectual Property Magazine (June 8, 2011)
- New Cases Highlight Difficulty in Obtaining IP Protection for Furniture Design, Intellectual Property Magazine (February 5, 2011)
- 'Hot News' and News Organizations: Rights and Responsibilities, Editor & Publisher (July 14, 2010)
- What You Need to Know about Design Patents in the Furniture Industry, Furniture World (April 9, 2010)
- Copyright Protection in the Furniture Industry, Furniture World (January 5, 2010)
Seminars & Presentations
- Myers-Briggs: Leading from Strength
Sullivan & Worcester Conference Center, Boston, MA (February 3, 2016)
- IP 101: Trademarks, Copyrights and Everything Else in Between
S&W Startup Series, Sullivan & Worcester, Boston, MA (March 26, 2015)
- Pink, Pins, and Gleeks: Thoughts on International Trademark Practice and Avoiding Brand Disasters
16 Beacon Street, Boston, MA (November 12, 2014)
- An Overview of the Legal Issues in Starting a Business
S&W Startup Series, Sullivan & Worcester, Boston, MA (October 23, 2014)