Joshua L. Sturtevant
Josh Sturtevant is an associate in the Energy Group in Sullivan & Worcester’s Boston office. Mr. Sturtevant represents clients, including early stage companies and funds, in energy project development and project finance transactions, policy and regulatory matters, and corporate development matters.
Mr. Sturtevant previously served as lead inside legal counsel and as a member of the management team with Distributed Sun, a privately held Washington, D.C.–based renewable energy developer, investor, owner and operator. At Distributed Sun, Mr. Sturtevant managed diligence and transaction closings and advised on corporate development activities. Mr. Sturtevant also served as lead counsel to the Distributed Sun affiliate beEdison, a software-as-a-service diligence platform.
Prior to his time at Distributed Sun, Mr. Sturtevant co-founded, and served as a strategic advisor to, Renewable Energy Trust Capital, an independent solar financing platform. During law school, Mr. Sturtevant published groundbreaking research on new structures in renewables, including the solar-REIT, and spent time interning with London-based Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in the firm’s corporate group in Munich, Germany. Prior to his career in the energy sector, Mr. Sturtevant spent a number of years working in the capital markets.
Mr. Sturtevant’s practice focuses on the intersection of policy, regulation and finance, with emphasis on innovative project structures and transactions. He is a frequent contributor to S&W’s Energy Finance Report, is a participating member of the solar industry-transforming SAPC and truSolar initiatives, is a member of the ABA’s Committee on Government and Private Sector Innovation and is a frequent guest lecturer at The George Washington University Law School.
Representative Client Work
- Advised an early stage (pre-funding) solar company on corporate development initiatives and strategic approach to the solar marketplace
- Advised startup renewable energy company on corporate activities
- Advised client on spin-off of an IP-based renewable energy diligence platform
- Closed largest crowd-funded debt deal to-date on a charter school in Colorado
- Closed crowd-funded debt deal on an industrial facility in New Mexico
- Completed innovative work-out on a utility-funded solar installation in Colorado
- Completed several solar transactions with private universities
- Closed asset sale to large multinational asset purchaser
- Advised foreign entity on approach to acquiring and developing renewable energy assets in the U.S.
- Syndicated high-net-worth investment dollars into a vehicle to develop and own assets
News & Publications
- EDGE Advisory Report, September 2016 EDGE Advisory (September 29, 2016)
- Report from the States, September 2016 EDGE Advisory (September 29, 2016)
- Winners and Losers in the Corporate Renewable Energy Surge, September 2016 EDGE Advisory (September 29, 2016)
- EDGE Advisory - Distributed Energy Finance Report - May 2016, Published by the Energy Finance Practice of Sullivan & Worcester (May 11, 2016)
- Net Metering and Microgrids: Do Your Homework, Microgrid Knowledge, Quoted (February 29, 2016)
- Reforming the Energy Vision - Opportunities Exist, But Hurdles Remain, LexisNexis' Environmental Law in New York February 2016
- Caribbean Solar Power, Eniday, Quoted (January 19, 2016)
- Are Seesaw Share Prices Impacting Yieldco Buying Power?, Law360 (December 2, 2015)
- EDGE Finance Advisory Quarter 2 / 2015
- Grid Cybersecurity May Increase Costs for Distributed Energy, Microgrid Knowledge (April 20, 2015)
- Sullivan & Worcester Expands Energy and Project Finance Team, S&W Press Release (March 23, 2015)
- Monetizing Energy Security, American Council on Renewable Energy (October 2014)
- Solar REITs: A Better Way to Invest in Solar, Forbes, Quoted (October 9, 2012)
- The S-REIT: An Investment-Driven Solution to Solar Development Problems, The GW Solar Institute (April 2011)
Seminars & Presentations
- Fight for the ITC
Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel (November 17, 2015)
- Financing Projects Under New York's 'Reforming the Energy Vision'
Sullivan & Worcester Conference Center, New York, NY (October 1, 2015)
- The Anatomy of a Broken Deal
The Solar Network Summit, Washington, DC (October 9, 2013)
- Solar Finance Structures: A Clear Path Forward?
George Washington University, Washington, DC (April 11, 2013)