John Hunt is a partner in the Investment Management Group of Sullivan & Worcester’s Boston office. His practice is focused on representing asset managers and their affiliates on regulatory, compliance and transactional matters. Mr. Hunt represents U.S. and non-U.S. investment advisors as well as mutual funds, hedge funds, bank-managed collective investment funds, private equity funds and venture capital funds. He also represents the independent directors to mutual funds. He regularly interfaces with U.S. regulators on a broad range of matters, including exemptive order applications, no-action letters, registration statements and examination inquiries.
Mr. Hunt has significant experience with onshore and offshore money market funds and other types of cash management products. He negotiates on behalf of his clients’ derivatives (ISDA), securities lending and repurchase agreement documentation, as well as custody and distribution arrangements. He also assists asset managers and fund sponsors in organizing and operating U.S. and non-U.S. collective investment vehicles, including registered/publicly offered mutual funds, commodity pools and hedge funds organized in the Luxembourg, Ireland, Australia, the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, and many other offshore jurisdictions. Over his career, Mr. Hunt has interacted extensively with non-U.S. regulators.
Mr. Hunt has practiced corporate law with other national firms in Boston and San Francisco. Prior to that he was the general counsel and chief compliance officer of IXIS Asset Management Global Associates (now Natixis Global Associates) and was responsible for all legal and compliance matters of that firm’s investment advisers, investment funds and distribution companies organized in Luxembourg, Ireland and Australia, as well as its subsidiaries and branches located in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
News & Publications
- Asset Managers: Are You Ready for Your Exam? Steps You Should Take Now, S&W Client Advisory (March 17, 2017)
- The Top Five "Gotcha" Deficiencies Plaguing Asset Managers and How to Avoid Them, S&W Client Advisory (March 1, 2017)
- Five Questions on US Money Market Fund Regulation, On the Regs, a BBH Blog (October 3, 2016)
- US Seeks Scalps in Och-Ziff Bribery Investigation, The Financial Times, Quoted (September 12, 2016)
- Och-Ziff Jumps as Hedge Fund May Be Spared in Bribery Probe, Bloomberg Markets, Quoted (August 17, 2016)
- Sullivan & Worcester Adds Partner to Market-Leading Investment Management Practice in Boston, S&W Press Release (April 26, 2016)
Seminars & Presentations
- Money Fund University
The Westin Jersey City Newport (January 20, 2017)
- "New Regulations: The Devil is in the Details (a U.S. Perspective)" Crane Data European Money Fund Symposium (London, September 20-21 2016)