Hannah Fearn is a senior associate in the Trade & Export Finance team in the London office. Hannah’s practice area covers trade and export finance. Hannah has advised on a wide range of cross-border trade finance transactions in a variety of jurisdictions, with an emphasis on emerging markets.
She has acted for leading banks in the market and her experience includes advising on syndicated and bilateral secured pre-export commodity financings, commodity repo structures, letter of credit facilities, trade instruments and receivables financings. Hannah has advised clients on related regulatory issues, including sanctions arising out of cross-border finance transactions. She regularly advises on risk sharing techniques, including guarantees, sub-participations, insurance policies and payment instruments such as standbys and demand guarantees, and on the use of such agreements as credit risk mitigation under the EU’s Capital Requirements Regulation (implementing Basel III).
Hannah is a contributor to A Guide to Receivables Finance, a special report from TFR published by Ark, and has contributed practice notes on a variety of trade finance topics, including commodity financing and capital adequacy for trade finance, to Lexis PSL. In 2011, Hannah spent six months on secondment to the London-based trade finance legal team of a major US bank.
News & Publications
- Sharing risk, Trade & Forfaiting Review (June 30, 2017)
- Sullivan & Worcester Wins GTR "Best Trade Finance Law Firm" 2015 Award, S&W Press Release (November 25, 2015)
- A Guide to Receivables Finance (2nd edition) (October 15, 2015)
- Sullivan & Worcester Wins "Best Law Firm in Trade Finance" Award for Second Year Running, S&W Press Release (June 24, 2015)
- BPO: Confusion Reigns, Global Trade Review, Quoted September/October 2014
- The Bank Payment Obligation: Will it Replace the Traditional Letter of Credit – Now, or Ever?, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law (February 2014)
- Sullivan & Worcester Announces Expanded Team as London Office Opens, S&W Press Release (October 16, 2013)
Seminars & Presentations
- Risk Sharing Techniques - Similarities, Differences and Consequences
Pinners Hall, 105-108 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1EN (March 23, 2017)
- Problems and solutions in cross-border receivables transactions
Pinners Hall, 105-108 Old Broad Street, London (September 8, 2015)
- Sullivan & Worcester's Article 194 opinion on the BAFT Master Participation agreement
Pinners Hall, 105-108 Old Broad Street, London (May 28, 2015)
- Financing Goods In and Out of Warehouses: What Issues to Look For, Deal With and Avoid
Pinners Hall, 105-108 Old Broad Street, London (March 26, 2015)
- Payment Obligations: An Update and How They Affect Banks and Other Parties
Pinners Hall, 105-108 Old Broad Street, London (September 8, 2014)
- Inaugural Trade Finance Breakfast Seminar
Sullivan & Worcester UK LLP, Tower 42, 25 Old Broad Street, London, UK (December 3, 2013)