Allison Weiss is counsel to Sullivan & Worcester's Bankruptcy & Restructuring Group in the New York office. She represents debtors, financial guarantors, indenture trustees, creditors and shareholders in chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructurings. Prior to joining Sullivan & Worcester, Ms. Weiss was senior counsel and legal analyst at a distressed debt/restructuring subscription company, and assisted in its launch into the North American market. Before going in-house, Ms. Weiss was counsel at two large international law firms, and advised on numerous bankruptcy and restructuring matters. Her practice covered all aspects of domestic and international business reorganizations and debt restructurings, as well as crisis management, corporate governance and the acquisition and sale of assets and troubled companies in chapter 11. She has extensive experience representing debtors, unsecured and secured creditors, financial institutions, statutory and ad hoc committees, and equity holders in a variety of workouts, corporate restructurings and chapter 11 reorganizations in a wide array of industries, including insurance, energy, financial services, retail, airline, healthcare, automotive, and telecommunications.
Representative Client Work
- Represented Ambac Financial Group, Inc., in its chapter 11 case
- Represented Ambac Assurance Corporation in its rehabilitation in Wisconsin of its Segregated Account
- Represented Ambac Assurance Corporation in connection with its global commutation of its outstanding obligations under numerous credit default swaps and related CDOs
- Advised monoline insurers and their affiliates on reorganization and restructuring options under federal and state insolvency laws
- Represented U.S. Bank, as indenture trustee, in the Grubb & Ellis Co. chapter 11 case
- Represented Deutsche Bank, as indenture trustee and member of the Statutory Committee of Unsecured Creditors, in the Bank United Financial Corporation and the Colonial BancGroup, Inc. chapter 11 cases
- Represented Deutsche Bank, as indenture trustee and member of the Statutory Committee of Unsecured Creditors, in the Asarco chapter 11 cases
- Represented several creditors in Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.’s chapter 11 cases
- Advised General Motors prior to the commencement of its chapter 11 cases
- Represented U.S. Bank, as indenture trustee, in the Northwest Airlines, Delta Airlines and US Airways chapter 11 cases
- Represented RSL Com U.S.A., Inc. and its subsidiaries in their chapter 11 cases
- Advised Enron and other energy companies in various bankruptcy disputes
- Represented the trustee in the Securities Investor Protection Act liquidations of securities brokers Duke & Co., Inc. and Cressida Capital Inc.
- Represented New York retailer Barneys, Inc. in its chapter 11 case and complex chapter 11 lien avoidance and turnover litigation