1666 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
TEL: (202) 775-1211
Robert G. Butz, Ph.D.
Robert G. Butz is a staff scientist in the Environment & Natural Resources Group in our Washington, D.C. office. Dr. Butz has over 30 years experience in the development of scientific data and cost effective regulatory and technical approaches to support pesticide product registrations with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). His work in this capacity focuses on product chemistry, residue chemistry and environmental fate issues. Dr. Butz interfaces with clients and EPA personnel to register, amend and support the entry of clients’ pesticide products in the U.S. market.
Representative Client Work
- Obtained the first generic registration for paraquat, a non-selective herbicide despite fierce resistance from the pioneer registrant, and the existence of a proprietary formulation the pioneer claimed was safer than the client’s formulation
- Obtained the first generic registration for a juvenile growth regulator used as an insecticide in the flea and tick spot-on market for cats and dogs
- Represented a large Canadian company to develop a complete line of low toxicity insecticides that are permitted for use in organic production of food crops
- Helped a client obtain registration of a new line of low use-rate herbicides for home and turf, which was key to the commercialization process
- Successfully registered a line of technical and end-use pesticide products for an agchemical retailer seeking to source active ingredients from China and use toll formulators to produce and package its products
- Supported the continued EPA registration of controversial insecticides by designing, conducting and monitoring environmental fate and residue chemistry studies required by EPA to demonstrate ecological and human safety of the products
- "Development of Meat, Milk, Poultry, and Egg Residue Methods for Ethyl Parathion and Its Animal Metabolites, and Radiovalidation of the Methods," Presentation at the 214th American Chemical Society National Meeting, September 7-11, 1997. Las Vegas, Nevada. R.G. Butz, D.J. Severn and L. T. Nishioka (1997)
- "Metabolism and Tissue Residues of Malathion in Lactating Dairy Goats," Presentation at the Eighth IUPAC International Conference of Pesticide Chemistry. July 4-9, 1994. Washington, D.C. J.M. Cannon, V.J. Reddy, E. Murrill, R.G. Butz and D.A. Fletcher (1994)
- "Microbial Transformation of Herbicides and Pesticides, Advances in Applied Microbiology," 36:1-66. J.P. Krueger, R. G. Butz and D. Cork (1991)
- "Use of Dicamba Degrading Microorganisms to Protect Dicamba Susceptible Plant Species," J. Agric. Food Chem. 39:1000-1003. J.P. Krueger, R. G. Butz and D. Cork (1991)
- "Aerobic and Anaerobic Soil Metabolism of Dicamba," J. Agric. Food Chem. 39:995-999. J.P. Krueger, R. G. Butz and D. Cork (1991) J.P.Krueger, R.G. Butz and D.J. Cork, 1990. Specificity of a Flavobacterium in the Metabolism of Substituted Chlorobenzoates, J. of Ind. Microbiol. 5:147-152.
- Presentation at workshop entitled "Genetically Engineered Plants: Scientific Issues in the Regulation for Animal Feed and Human Food Uses," May 1-3, 1989. Boyce Thompson Inst. for Plant Research, Ithaca, N.Y. R.G. Butz, 1989. Metabolism of B.T. Endotoxin.
- "Isolation and Identification of Microorganisms for the Degradation of Dicamba," J. Agric. Food Chem. 37:534-538 J.P. Krueger, R.G. Butz, Y.H. Atallah and D.J. Cork, (1989)
- "Biodegradation of Chlorinated Hydrocarbons. Presentation at Division of Environmental Chemistry," American Chemical Society, Chicago, Illinois September 12, 1985 Y.H. Atallah and R.G. Butz (1985)
- "Safety Evaluation of Industrial Chemicals: Hexachlorocyclopentadiene," In, "Proceedings of the First Toxicology Alumni Symposium: Environmental and Biological Transformation for Xenobiotics," June 23-24, 1983, University of Kentucky, Lexington, (pp. 104-122) D.M. Whitacre, Y.H. Atallah and R.G. Butz, 1983.
- "Comparison of Activities of Dicamba and its Aluminum Salts. Proc. of the 10th International Congress of Plant Protection," 2:586 Kunkel, J.F., S.D. Bryant, A.A. Goloff, R.G. Butz, E.P. Lira and L.G. Nickell (1983)
- "Photolysis of Hexachlorocyclopentadiene in Water," Ecotox. and Environm. Safety, 6 (4): 347-357, Butz, R.G., C.C. Yu and Y.H. Atallah (1982)
- "Environmental Safety Assessment of Dipropylene Glycol Dibenzoate," Presentation at the 2nd Annual Meeting of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. R.G. Butz, Y.H. Attalah, C.C. Yu and C.J. Calo (1981)
- "Fate of Hexachlorocyclopentadiene in the Environment. Proc. of 2nd Chemical Congress of the North American Continent," (Paper No. 178) Y.H. Atallah, D.M. Whitacre and R.G. Butz (1980)
- "L-Malate as an Essential Component of the Xylem Fluid of Cron Seedling Roots," (Plant Physiology. 64:684-89) R.G. Butz and R.C. Long (1979)
- "A Mechanism for Nitrate Transport and Reduction," (Phytochemistry, 16:409-417) R.G. Butz and W.A. Jackson (1977)
- "Nitrate Reductase as a Predictive Test for Crop Yield," (Short communication) (Nature, 266:383) (1977)
- "Nitrate Influx and Efflux: Effects of Prior Nitrate Nutrition," (Planta, 132:149-156) W.A. Jackson, K.D. Kwik, R.J. Volk and R.G. Butz (1976)
- "The Nitrate Assimilation Pathway in Higher Plants. Proc. of 1st American Chemical Congress of the North American Continent," Mexico City, Mexico. W.A. Jackson, R.J. Volk and R.G. Butz (1975)
- "Factors Responsible for White Film Formation on Cut Surfaces of Dry Cured Hams," (Food Science, 39:516-19) R.G. Butz, T.N. Blumer, J.A. Christian and H.E. Swaisgood (1974)
- "Impact of Regulation on Research and Development," Presentation at Research and Development for Crop Protection Products U.S.A., Raleigh, NC, U.S.A. (October 12-13, 2011)
Professional & Civic Activities
- Member, American Chemical Society (ACS) and the Agrochemical Division of ACS
- Member, Croplife America, Registration Committee
- Ph.D., Crop Science (Plant Biochemistry), North Carolina State University, 1978
- M.S., Food Science (Chemistry, Statistics), North Carolina State University, 1972
- B.S., Food Science, Pennsylvania State University, 1970
View Full Bio