1666 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
TEL: (202) 370-3920
Jerome C. Muys Jr.
Jerome C. Muys Jr. is a partner and environmental litigator in the Environment, Energy & Natural Resources Group of our Washington, D.C. office. He is the co-leader of the firm’s Climate-Related Business & Technology Group. He has represented clients in the energy, automotive and consumer products sectors before EPA and state agencies and in litigated proceedings for over 30 years. More recently, he has advised clients on regulatory considerations and due diligence requirements relating to the funding, siting, permitting and construction of renewable energy and water infrastructure projects, and on legal issues and business strategies relating to energy efficiency and “green products.” Mr. Muys currently focuses on emerging technologies and business planning in the areas of resource allocation and reuse.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Muys was a trial attorney with the Land & Natural Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, where he litigated cases on behalf of the Environmental Protection Agency. Before joining the DOJ, Mr. Muys served in EPA’s Office of Enforcement, where he worked primarily on water and hazardous waste management issues. He has co-authored articles and taught courses on legal trends in the areas of water and renewable energy infrastructure development.
Representative Client Work
- Assisted major consumer products manufacturer in devising business and legislative strategy for promoting “green” product lines
- Represents former chemical manufacturer before EPA in proceedings involving multi-hundred million dollar watershed remediation program
- Assisted Fortune 500 manufacturer in negotiating massive brownfields cleanup and redevelopment of rezoned plant site to be converted to significant multi-use facility
- Represented major manufacturer in contract dispute involving novel groundwater remediation technology
- Formulated and helped implement legal and business case for “roll-out” of energy efficient mobile generator
- Represented major trade association in litigation challenging EPA’s renewable fuel standard rulemaking
- Served as expert witness in multiple insurance coverage proceedings regarding fairness and reasonableness of legal fees and expenses incurred by insureds as defense costs
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia, 1979
- U.S. District Court, D.C.
- U.S. District Court, M.D.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- "The Evolving Importance of Water," Wharton Club's Green Business Roundtable (July 13, 2012)
- "Water and the Future of Energy," ZAG/S&W, Washington, D.C. (May 30, 2012)
- "The Intersection Between Water Scarcity and Renewable Energy," TechConnect World Conference and Expo 2011 (June 14-16, 2011)
- "Challenging Federal Agency Use of Scientific Data Under the DQA," Law Seminars International (November 17, 2010)
Awards & Honors
- Best Lawyers in America (2010-2013)
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers (2007-2013)
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Section
- Environmental Law Institute
- LL.M, The George Washington University Law School, 1985
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 1979
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1976
View Full Bio
Seminars & Presentations