Paul E. Summit
Paul E. Summit, leader of the Government Investigations & White Collar Defense Group, has been a litigator for 35 years. He has a national practice concentrating in the areas of complex commercial disputes and white collar criminal defense, principally in the federal courts. Over the years he has tried dozens of jury and non-jury cases around the country, representing both plaintiffs and defendants. He practices frequently before the SEC and other regulatory bodies as well. Prior to joining Sullivan & Worcester, Mr. Summit was a member of Graham & James LLP, where he was head of the firm’s New York litigation department.
As of September 2013, Mr. Summit has been appointed as the First Circuit Representative to the ABA Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary. The 15-member committee evaluates all nominations of Article III judges to the federal district courts, circuit courts of appeal and the United States Supreme Court, as well as various territorial district courts.
Representative Client Work
- Defense of unit of Arthur Andersen in litigations arising from the collapse of a software company
- Defense of Canadian engineering company SNC in federal securities class action in Texas arising from the Bre-x gold scandal; extensive experience in class action defense
- Representation of Marsh & McLennan and others in lawsuits against animal rights terrorists
- Representation of major software company and its founders in numerous actions, including action against a law firm for aiding and abetting fraud and breach of fiduciary duty [designated one of the ten "major litigations of the year" by the National Law Journal]
- Representation of a Japanese company and a U.S. company in international price-fixing investigations
- Representation of numerous corporate and individual defendants in a wide variety of white collar criminal investigations, including securities and accounting violations, antitrust, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, election fraud, embezzlement, insider trading, bid rigging, etc.
- Representation of clients defrauded in the "abusive tax shelter" scandals of recent years
- Representation of plaintiffs recovering millions of dollars lost in hedge fund frauds
- Representation of individuals in grand jury and SEC investigations of revenue recognition frauds
- Representation of individuals in major tax fraud investigations
News & Publications
- S&W Attorneys Named 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers, New England Super Lawyers Magazine (October 21, 2013)
- Taiwan Tells 2nd Circ. To Hold Grenada's Cash Amid Loan Row, Law360, Quoted (March 6, 2013)
- China Ex-Im Can't Get Grenada's US Funds, 2nd Circ. Told, Law360 (January 11, 2013)
Seminars & Presentations
- Singal and Summit on Real World Practice
Civil Trial Skills Hands-on Workshop (MCLE) (September 26, 2008)
- Has lectured on RICO; the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act; "scienter" requirements in securities litigation; money laundering in light of the Patriot Act; and various international litigation issues
- Has taught at Continuing Legal Education seminars on cross examination, deposition strategy, and other topics
- Commentator on Fox News and on New England Cable News Network on topics relating to jury trials, white collar defense issues and other aspects of litigation practice
- Quoted frequently in the Boston Globe and other media on matters pertaining to practice; published editorial on the abuse of the "perp walk"