ERISA Reporting and Disclosure Requirements: Form 5500 . . . and Beyond!
New England Employee Benefits Council (NEEBC)
David A. Guadagnoli presented "ERISA Reporting and Disclosure Requirements: Form 5500 . . . and Beyond!" at this how-to workshop sponsored by the New England Employee Benefits Council. This half-day program featured a brief look at the rules surrounding related ERISA disclosure mainstays, including plan document requirements, summary plan descriptions, summary of material modifications and summary annual reports, as well as a review of both the substantially revised Form 5500 and the new filing system. This was a hands-on session and participants had the opportunity to ask questions specific to their organizations. Covered topics included:
- What plans are subject to ERISA?
- Which plans (including Section 403(b) arrangements) require Form 5500 filings, what must be filed, and when?
- A review of the new Form 5500 and the Department of Labor's electronic filing system
- The "nuts and bolts" of ERISA disclosure requirements, including plan documents, SPDs, SMMs and SARs
- How to avoid common pitfalls