Sophisticated Estate Planning: The Latest Cutting-Edge Techniques
Tax Briefings 2016 (4:00 p.m. - 5:45 p.m.)
Sullivan & Worcester hosted a Tax Briefings seminar, “Sophisticated Estate Planning: The Latest Cutting-Edge Techniques,” on March 23, 2016, led by Joseph B. Darby III, Gabrielle M. Clemens from UBS Financial Services Inc., Michael A. Mingolelli from Pinnacle Financial Group, Lisa N. Mingolla and Christina N. Asimacos. This seminar examined the “hot” ideas being touted in U.S. domestic estate planning in 2016. The program started with a review of estate-planning basics, and then moved quickly to the most creative and popular ideas being advocated today in wealth-transfer planning.
- Installment sales to intentionally “defective” grantor trusts (IDGTs)
- Strategies using Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts (GRATs), Charitable Lead Annuity Trusts (CLATs), Spousal Lifetime Access Trusts (SLATS), and Charitable Remainder Trusts (CRTs)
- Late-in-life Qualified Personal Residence Trusts (QPRTs)
- Strategies for family business owners
- Charitable gifting strategies
- Generation Skipping Transfer (GST) tax strategies
- Portability strategies
- Sophisticated uses of life insurance
- Other cutting-edge tax-planning strategies and techniques
In addition, Massachusetts taxation and estate-planning strategies for individuals who plan to remain life-long residents of Massachusetts were discussed.