Sullivan & Worcester Ranked in the 2017 Edition of Chambers USA
Boston, MA - May 25, 2017 - The 2017 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business has ranked 15 Sullivan & Worcester lawyers. Investment Funds: Registered Funds received a Nationwide ranking, and Ameek Ashok Ponda received a Nationwide ranking for REITs. Overall, eight practice areas were recognized, including one new practice area: Real Estate: Mainly Corporate & Finance (New York). Following below are details of the firm's rankings:
Practice Area Rankings
Banking & Finance (Massachusetts)
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts)
Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide)
Real Estate (Massachusetts)
Real Estate: Mainly Corporate & Finance (New York)
Individual Rankings & Recognized Practitioners
- Hayden S. Baker – Environment: Mainly Transactional (New York). Client quote: "He exhibits depth and thoroughness in his diligence efforts while also maintaining a commitment to the practical needs of the deal."
- John G. Balboni – Real Estate (Massachusetts)
- Jeanne P. Darcey – Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Massachusetts)
- Michael M. Davis – Tax (Massachusetts). Client quote: "Easily one of the better tax lawyers in the city of Boston."
- Patrick P. Dinardo – Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Massachusetts). Client quote: "Has a real strength in bankruptcy litigation and writes exceptionally well."
- Steven P. Eichel – Tax (Massachusetts)
- David A. Guadagnoli – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). Client quote: "Very pragmatic, with solid business acumen and with very strong expertise in the employee benefits area."
- David M. Leahy – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide)
- David C. Mahaffey – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide)
- Jerry Muys – Environment (District of Columbia)
- Ameek Ashok Ponda – Tax (Massachusetts) and REITs (Nationwide). Client quote: "We consider him the most creative tax professional in the US."
- Amy Sheridan – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). Client quote: "Very detail-oriented and has a very solid grasp of all things ERISA."
- Laura Steinberg – Litigation (Massachusetts). Client quote: "Hands-down the most cost-effective outside counsel we have."
- Douglas S. Stransky – Tax (Massachusetts). Client quote: "Extremely knowledgeable in all aspects of US and international tax planning, particularly related to US-based business investing in foreign jurisdictions. I have been working with other professionals, but did not find them as efficient and knowledgeable as he is."
Editorial Comments from Chambers
Chambers recognized the firm's Banking & Finance Group in Band 4 and noted its strength in "complex debt finance transactions and business reorganizations" as well as its "expertise in trade finance and real estate finance." Pleased clients describe the firm as "excellent."
The firm's Bankruptcy/Restructuring practice was ranked in Band 3, with a client commenting that "The firm regularly kept in contact with me to keep me informed and to discuss new developments." Chambers recognized the group's ability to "pour oil on troubled waters" in contentious situations, as well as its "creativity and focus." Highly recommended for its skilled handling of contentious and out-of-court bankruptcy and restructuring matters across the United States and for its advice on Chapter 11 filings, with niche expertise in aviation.
Chambers recognized the firm's Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group in Band 3 for the "breadth of its capabilities in employee benefits matters and for its representation of a range of corporate and individual clients, particularly in the financial services industry." The Group received high praise from clients, including, "critical partners who provide exemplary service. They are extremely knowledgeable and personable, diligent, hard-working and a true delight to work with."
Chambers ranked the Tax Group in Band 2, saying that it is "Well regarded for its adept representation of a range of clients on national and international tax matters spanning both litigious and non-contentious areas of tax law. Respected for its broad coverage in the space including REIT conversions, estate planning and tax controversies, among other areas. Also handles the structuring of hedge funds, venture capital funds and real estate investment trusts to ensure maximum tax advantage." Clients noted, "They are very smart, they are very timely in their responses. We are amazed at how quickly they will turn around issues or questions that we present to them."
About Sullivan & Worcester LLP
Sullivan & Worcester is a leading corporate law firm advising clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to emerging businesses. With more than 175 lawyers in Boston, London, New York and Washington, D.C., the firm offers services in a wide range of areas, including corporate finance, banking, trade finance, securities and mutual funds, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, tax, real estate and REITs, private equity and venture capital, bankruptcy, environment and natural resources, climate change, renewable energy and water resources, regulatory law, and employment and benefits. For more information please visit www.sandw.com.
Sullivan & Worcester