|Susan M. Barnard||Partner||(617) firstname.lastname@example.org||vCard|
|Aidan F. Browne||Partner||(617) email@example.com||vCard|
|Joel R. Carpenter||Partner||(617) firstname.lastname@example.org||vCard|
|Hugh P. Finnegan||Partner||(212) email@example.com||vCard|
|Kimberly B. Herman||Partner||(617) firstname.lastname@example.org||vCard|
|Karen L. Linsley||Partner||(617) email@example.com||vCard|
|Douglas S. Stransky||Partner||(617) firstname.lastname@example.org||vCard|
|Michael T. Sullivan||Partner||(212) email@example.com||vCard|
The Irish Tech Startup Guides: A Guide to Boston, December 10, 2014
Boston Business Journal, March 11, 2014
Boston Business Journal, May 9, 2013
March 14, 2011
November 10, 2014 (8:00 - 9:00 a.m.)
November 14, 2013 (6:00 p.m.)
October 17, 2013 (12:00 - 1:30 p.m.)
Ireland is a top location for global companies due to one of the lowest tax rates in Europe and a highly educated work force. With its highly globalized economy, large export sector, and the youngest population in Europe, Ireland is one of the best places in the world to do business. Sullivan & Worcester’s Ireland practice derives from a long history of serving as U.S. counsel to companies making investments in Ireland, as well as serving as U.S. counsel to stakeholders from Ireland making multi-billion dollar investments in the United States. These investments encompass a wide range of industry sectors, including the food and beverage, paper and linerboard, animal feed, technology, publishing, real estate, financial services, and also the investment fund sectors. The firm’s exceptional international tax practice and its deep strength in corporate, securities and real estate, have served its Irish clients in a range of complex and highly successful transactions across the United States.
The firm has provided corporate and litigation services to several of Ireland's government agencies and entities and also several leading entrepreneurs, private equity and venture capital funds, including most of the Irish banks; NAMA, IBRC and IBRC (In Liquidation); International Investment and Underwriters; Wilton Capital; Clarendon Properties; and Fountain Healthcare Partners.
Many of the world’s largest technology, life sciences, professional services and consumer products companies locate in Ireland in business units focusing on manufacturing, global services (including financial services) and research, development and innovation. Sullivan & Worcester lawyers have connected these companies with Irish government agencies, investors and other assistance to set up operations. Our lawyers have also assisted with navigating regulatory requirements and tax structuring advice to ensure that companies are as globally competitive as possible.
Sullivan & Worcester has a long-standing relationship with the political, economic and educational sectors in Ireland. Our Partner Aidan F. Browne, a fellow of the Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School at the University College Dublin, has more than 20 years of experience as a corporate and commercial real estate attorney in Ireland and as a foreign legal consultant in the United States. Aidan has deep contacts and relationships in the Irish market. He is a consultant in the United States to the largest law firm in Ireland, A&L Goodbody, and has worked with A&L for almost 15 years on foreign investment matters. In the United States, he serves on the boards of several Irish humanitarian and non-governmental organizations.
Representative Client Work
- Represented Clarendon Properties in the sale of 265 Franklin Street in Boston, MA
- Represented Clarendon Properties in the sale of 200 State Street in Boston, MA
- Represented Signature Capital in the sale of 100 Franklin Street in Boston, MA
- Represented Eastdil Secured in the sale of a $10 billion European-based lender U.S. loan note portfolio
- Represented Bank of Ireland and AEW Capital Management in a $79.8 million sale of a multifamily building
- Represented Wells Fargo Bank in the acquisition of part of a European-based lender U.S. loan note portfolio worth $2 billion
- Represented Wells Fargo Bank in the acquisition of the Bank of Ireland's $1.4 billion U.S. real estate loan note portfolio
- Formation of the inaugural $125 million Pan-Hiberno fund for Fountain Healthcare Partners Limited
- Represented the Series B investors, including Fountain Healthcare Partners Limited, an Irish venture capital fund, in a $20 million Series B financing of Mainstay Medical Limited, a U.S.-based developer of an implantable device that uses electrical stimulation to treat chronic lower back pain. The financing was conditioned on the redomicile of Mainstay Medical from the U.S. to Ireland
- Represented Fountain Healthcare Partners Limited in a $5 million financing of Civitas Therapeutics, a privately held pharmaceutical company focused on developing products with a clinically proven dry powder pulmonary delivery platform
- Represented all of Irish banks in relation to real estate and corporate financings
- Negotiated structuring of an investment advisory relationship (with approximately $389 million of transactions closed to date) focused on U.S. commercial and residential real estate acquisitions between Bank of Ireland Private and AEW, and represented this fund in all of its significant U.S. commercial real estate acquisitions
- Representation of multiple Irish sponsors in the structuring and formation of private, externally advised, blind pool U.S. REITs to raise capital in Ireland and invest in U.S. commercial real estate