Employment Regulatory Compliance Checklist
The following is a sample of some of the issues we review when conducting an employment audit. For more information on the audit process and a complete list of topics covered, please contact Corinne Hood Greene or Susanne Hafer.
Reference and Background Checks
- Are the company’s practices sufficient to protect it from liability to third parties?
- Do the company’s practices comply with federal law?
- Does the company have a clear policy on how background information will be considered in the application process?
- Are the company’s policies regarding FMLA, maternity, disability and worker’s compensation leaves consistent with each other and with federal and state law?
- Are the company’s benefit arrangements consistent with its leave policies?
Compensation and Payroll
- Do the company’s payroll practices comply with state law?
- Does the company’s vacation policy comply with state law?
- Has the company properly classified employees as exempt or non-exempt from the overtime provisions of federal law?
- Does the company calculate and pay overtime correctly?
Non-competition and Non-Solicitation Agreements
- Does the company have legitimate business reasons to require these types of agreements?
- Are the agreements tailored to individual circumstances?
- Does the company have a coherent practice with regard to addressing breaches of such agreements that will not undermine its enforcement efforts?
© 2015 Sullivan & Worcester LLP. Because sound legal advice must necessarily take into account all relevant facts and developments in the law, the information you will find on this page is not intended to constitute legal advice or a legal opinion as to any particular matter.